Tuesday 10 January 2012

Resolutions would be great if you stuck to it;


“New year, new me”
Goodness gracious how many times I have heard this, read this or whatever. It’s been ten days into 2012 and I have no resolutions. I have goals to accomplish this semester, things I want to see and do this year, but no resolutions. Besides most university kids have a tough time sticking with it… they keep “restarting” their resolutions. It makes me laugh.
This semester of school will be a semester filled with little free time. In fact last night I had 4 hours of free time and I spent it relaxing and reading. I am only two days into this semester; that being said I have gone to each class once, gotten the course outline and of course received our first assignments. Don’t get me wrong, I love photography but I’m beginning to think along the lines of everything in moderation.
To accomplish my degree I have to take a 2D design class, it’s full of drawing, painting and everything in between. I don’t want to say I hate drawing; I don’t want to say I love it. I will however say I hate being told what to draw. Generally speaking I hate being told what to do, my parents can vouch for that one. Haha! This course is two days a week for a total of 5 hours in class time. On top of this all we are expected to spend 4-10 hours of our own time each week working on various projects. 4 hours is what reflects a C grade, 10 is reflective of an A grade…so he says. The worst part about this class is its all graded on ability. Yes you get graded for putting effort and thought in but like my instructor said “Some things you’ll be good at, others you wont be, not everyone is amazing at each project we do. I don’t expect to give out very many A’s in this class”. Great, superb, fantastic… I wanted to be graded on things I suck at. Sorry for the abundant amounts of sarcasm, clearly I am not excited about this class. My goal for this class is a C, and to not miss a single class of it. That way I have the extra points for attendance to at minimum boost my grade.
My intermediate photography class looks like it is going to have more of a creative freedom to it. We have projects, but we really have freedom to photograph whatever we wish. Guidelines are set but creativity is endless. I think I’ll really enjoy this class and my instructor is the one from my intro class last semester. He is good at what he does and has a lot to teach. Now that it’s intermediate I think I will get more out of the class. In this class alone we are expected to take 550 photos a week starting 4th week of semester. Generally speaking they have to be themed, so that in itself causes difficulty and forces you to find 550 different but similar things. I am aiming for an A in this class.
Photo Lighting Techniques is my class that meets twice a week on Tuesdays & Thursdays for 5 hours total/week. I think I will really enjoy this class, it has a lot to teach and I have a lot to learn. This class is mainly based on photography in the studio; setting up lighting situations. Basically I have to think up images and then craft them. It should be interesting and I have the same instructor as I did for my darkroom class. She is awesome, a really fun personality, but also the type of instructor that is your biggest fan whilst still being your biggest critic. It’s a good thing I think, she gets a lot out of her students. I hope to achieve an A, but not sure how tough these assignments are going to become…We’ll aim for an A but a B+ I think would be acceptable!
Art portfolio is a class that meets once a week for 2.5 hours. It’s a class that is taught collectively by my 2D Design instructor and my Photo Lighting class instructor. They should be a good duo. I look forward to this class. It will definitely help me decide how exactly I want to build my portfolio. Help to show me which artists will help influence me to be a better photographer. It should be a good class but I feel like since it only meets once a week I’ll have a tougher time staying on top of things… procrastination has never been that good to me! I think a B+ or an A seems achievable!
Lastly I am taking an online course just for the extra credits, GPA booster. It is a woman’s health class. It looks fairly simple, but guess I’ll have more of an opinion after I finish the first assignment and get my mark back. I think it’ll also be interesting to read about all the health problems out there. I am shooting for an A!
Anyways that’s my class load. Those 4 classes are all considered studio classes; meaning I am expected to have to work on my own time for 4-6 hours outside each class. Sometimes more, sometimes less! Looks like I will be getting 24 hours in on homework a week. Stressed is how I feel about that!
As for my goal with this blog, I would like to post more often than I have in the past. I think a goal of 4 blogs a month seems reasonable. A blog once a week seems achievable. Expect more about school, and more about my sleep schedule. My sleep schedule shall be interesting! Haha.

Side note, if you’ve commented about getting in contact with me over facebook or over email and I didn’t reply to your comments or I did and you never saw them… I will say this as a general statement. I prefer to keep my facebook off limits, I don’t check it nearly as often as I use too. My email however may be used. If you wish you contact me, or have questions… sarahbeaulieu@live.ca
Have a good week
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment