Wednesday 10 August 2011

it's only the first week;

I've been here one week, I've had a lot of fun within only one week but now that the tough stuff has started i have found that these two a day work outs/training are tiring! In between the two sessions I barely have enough time to sleep and eat. Practice ends at 10:15 if we're lucky. What i mean by lucky is if everyone finishes the sprints or drills in the allotted time given. If not, we stay for extras until we make up for what we don't make. So far it has been pretty good, stayed later a few times. I then have just enough time to walk home, grab a bite and set my alarm for 10 minutes to nap. After this all i have to hustle back to the locker room, get my back stretched out (still injured from car accident! =( ) then we are on for practice at 12:30. If you're late you force your team to do some major running! No one has been late.... yet.
After the afternoon practice which has been lasting on average 3 hours is over we get our ice baths, and our stretch on because Oh Lord do we ever need it! I have been SO sore, waking up in the morning is a shock, mostly a jumble of me trying to get my legs to walk properly and to keep me balanced. My calves have never hurt this bad every step for three consecutive days. I'll tell you one thing though, all this conditioning is making me a skinny girl! I honestly think it'll all be worth the tired moments! Haha.
I have been keeping my schedule the exact same every day, sure I'll do different activities but my naps are at the same time everyday (within reason). I've got my nap between my two sessions in the day and then when i come home and shower around 4:00 i get some comfy clothes on and sleep for a good 30 minutes. It has been working and it has allowed me to be somewhat active in the evening with meeting people in my building and around my apartment complex. Most of my new friends either play football or basketball. They are all so much fun, their accents are so great! We've got people from Louisiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Minnesota (obviously), Iowa, North Carolina, South Carolina, Everywhere! It is awesome listening to all of their slang terms or just the way they express things so differently! I am really enjoying my time, although exhausted I am getting through the day and getting my 8 hours sleep minimum every night!!
With the accent difference I've ran into a few interesting moments! And with me being the only one from Canada i have been given the name "Canada". I quite like it, Sarah is a generic and common name these days so their is no confusion with Canada.. I am the only Canadian down here! =)
Here are a few things i have said that have caused a big "ruckus" or being called weird or crazy!
"Yeah I'll phone you" - I said this to a teammate and everyone froze, stared at me and asked "You'll phone her? You mean you'll call her?". Its insane, they never use the word phone unless you're referring the object. I learned this quick and people get a kick out of it!
"I don't snowboard or ski, I toboggan!" - They were shocked that me being a Canadian that i should probably ski or snowboard or both! I don't, i have before, and i don't mind it... It just isn't something that i loved. Anyways they thought the word Toboggan was the best thing ever. They killed themselves laughing, said it over and over, and often found ways to use it in a sentence. It was a good laugh, I'll be sure to use the word sledding next time!
Their are probably more but i need to have my shower and nap now! I'll keep you posted after preseason is over on the 22nd, and school starts on the 23rd!


Canada

3 comments:

  1. you picked out one of the coolest blog names ever...lol. I just found your blog and will be sure to put you on my blog roll so other narcos can find it too. I feel ya on the accents-I have a very Wisconsin accent but my husband has a super thick southern accent-our poor kids are so confused...lol....

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!! =)
    I personally love the accents, they are awesome. They keep me entertained!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome time ! Its so funny adjusting to diffrent cultural Standards! I just moved to southern Georgia six monthsago and am still getting used to the diffrences between here and Ohio! Glad things are going ok!

    ReplyDelete