Sunday 28 August 2011

narcolepsy & 9 hour bus rides;

I can't say I enjoyed waking up at 5am in order to get on a bus that drove 9 hours to get to a different state in order to play one game. I can't say I hated it though, the 8 hours I slept on the bus were much needed. Narcolepsy had caught up to me by Thursday/Friday, I wasn't paying as close of attention as possibly I could/should have. I did not notice how exhausted I was until the moment came when I woke up not quite realizing when I had fallen asleep. Thankfully this did not happen during class, but it was a bit of a wake up call that I haven't been doing the best I can in the department of taking care of my body.
First week of classes and the die hard need/want to still remain social can be blamed for my lack of care for my body. Classes were stressful/fun/nerve racking. I was getting assignments left right and centre, new information on how to do certain things like using the darkroom properly. My mind was just loaded and on top of all this I had practice everyday, homework every night and the desire to keep up with that social life I have created here. Not like I was doing wild things each night, but my bedtime became non existent because I knew the weekend was coming up. Stupid idea, I will be making sure my 8 hours are achieved every night with the exception if I have homework that needs to be attended too, not a social life.
So far I love my classes. I finally got my schedule sorted out. Monday, Wednesday, Friday I have one class at 10am. Tuesday and Thursday's though I have quite a morning. Two classes that last a total of 5 hours together. They are practically back to back, I have half an hour in between the two, just enough time to eat and if I am lucky I can maybe squeeze in a nap! I love the classes and they are interesting enough that staying awake is not really a problem but it's only been a week. The two classes on Tuesday/Thursday are my two photography classes, so a lot of art work and a lot of darkroom activities! I am also taking a course online, a health class on Drug Use and Abuse. It sounded interesting, I have always been curious of people involved with drugs and addiction. I chose to take it online just because of all the travelling the soccer team does and the fact that the less time I spend being lectured in a class the happier my narcolepsy is!
Anyways our game in Bismarck, North Dakota was a success and we came out with a win of 2-0! I played the entire game and was quite pleased with my performance. I am now on the bus ride back home, catching up on reading material for my one business class and catching up on sleep.
Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment