Saturday 17 November 2012

You Might Want to Take Notes;


The thing I remember most about my narcolepsy when I was undiagnosed was school. Well that might be an ironic statement, I don’t remember much of school, I remember the struggle of school. I recall going to class and leaving class but never recall being in class. I would go home for the evening open up my notebook and see scribbles of notes I attempted to take. I would see the homework assignment, my notes, and realize I really don’t know how to do any of this. I am the type of person who hates asking for help, therefore I simply would just not do my homework, the vicious circle formed and soon I was slipping in class.
Now in college and having been diagnosed I am able to keep it together enough for classes...most of the time. This past week however I have had my fair share of micro sleeps and naps in class. While asleep I somehow always manage to still take notes…they never really make sense though…
What my writing usually looks like
Some Scribbles I apparently did...
What my writing turned into...really helpful notes ;)
Anyways haha, thought I would share my very informative notes I managed to make this week while sleeping in class.
Cheers

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. My name is Sarah, and I have Narcolepsy, too! :)

    I'm in vet school right now, and I type all my notes. I totally used to do the same thing when I hand-wrote notes, though! You could totally tell when the micro-naps happened...sometimes it would just be more "mangled" handwriting, other times it would be complete gibberish (I recall something about a "pink elephant" once....in U.S. History class).

    Even on the computer, I can tell when a particular lecture must not have been terribly stimulating...I'll doze off briefly with my finger on a key and the notes will look like
    "gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post.
    Nice to meet you!
    I would take my lap top to class but we rarely need to take notes or the notes are optional that I don't see the point for a 50 minute class...therefore I get stuck with what you see above!! :)
    Much like you have describe about the dozing off...I have written blog posts before and dozed off or papers and come back to the "gggggggggg". Haha.
    Good luck with Vet School, very ambitious of a narcoleptic, it's good to see another person living with narcolepsy and still living a normal and positive life!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete